Making a dial-up PPP connection to the University of Delaware
- Make sure you have PPP support compiled into your kernel
- Save the options, secrets, and uofd-pap files (listed below) into your /etc/ppp directory
- In the options & pap-secrets file, replace each instance of USERNAME_HERE with your udel.edu user name, and PASSWORD_HERE with your udel.edu password
- In the options file, change the /dev/ttyS0 device name to the device name of your modem
- To make your connection, execute /usr/sbin/pppd as a priveleged user
- to end your PPP session, kill pppd
You can also find good tips on automating your PPP connections in the Chapter 18 of the PPP-HOWTO
/dev/ttyS0 updetach lock remotename uofd user USERNAME_HERE connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/uofd-pap" 115200 mru 1500 mtu 1500 crtscts defaultroute modem netmask 255.255.255.0 noipdefault asyncmap 0
# Secrets for authentication using PAP # Client Server Secret IP Address # (User) USERNAME_HERE uofd PASSWORD_HERE
ABORT BUSY ABORT "NO CARRIER" ABORT ERROR ABORT "NO DIALTONE" TIMEOUT 10 "" "ATZ" "OK" "\d\dATDT8310100" TIMEOUT 90 "CONNECT" ""
Meetings Discussion Photo Gallery Officers Only About the Wiki State of the Kernel Projects Server Usage Policy
This is only required if you live off campus or have extended access granted.